Saturday, November 5, 2011

Chapter 10 Blog Assigment

1. Read Bush v. Gore in the text.  Do you agree with the majority or the dissenting opinion?  Why?
   I agree with the majority. I do feel if someone went through and hand counted votes using their 'opinion' more problems would have issued. I am a firm believer that no one in this country could really put aside their desire for who should be president and count the votes unbiasedly.

2. Is the ability to fundraise too important in elections?  In other words, are good candidates prevented from running because they cannot raise the needed funds?  Can/should something be done to correct this if it is a problem?
  I will say I think we have gotten out of hand on how much money it costs to run in an election. It truly has become a who you know and how much money you have race. I can honestly say I do not know how it can be corrected as I do not believe tax payers should be paying for the elections at all when we are so far in debt anyways.

3. Why is there such voter apathy - in other words, why is there often such low voter turnout for elections?  Is there a way to rectify this problem?
I do think as a whole most people do not think their vote counts. I also do not feel the average person is taught how important it is to vote or why. We seem to forget it is a right that LOTS of people have fought for in our countries past. I must say I love when I read that it is mandated by law to vote in some countries. Then I am faced with the dilemma of do I really feel that our law makers should be made to tell us we have to vote. I am in a catch 22 at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment